NYC

I had me a nice little room in Chelsea with a few channels on the TV and air conditioning (plus a fellow tenant who liked to play with knives in the hallway and told me someone hung themselves in my room). There was a subway stop on one corner and a little Health Food shop on other where I could buy some nice vegan snacks and Kombucha.

Just around the corner was SoHo House, the location of the IFP Narrative Rough Cuts Lab. This prestigious program was kind enough to accept St. Nick, one of only 11 films in the lab. The film was well received by all involved and garnered much praise. Of course all the other films were great in their own right. Go here to check out a list of all the films: http://www.ifp.org/ifpnews/newsitem.php?id=604.

The labs were transcendent from a filmmaking perspective. The amount of information doled out was massive but never overwhelming. I learned so much and watched mountains turn into hills.

---


I've been reading about Rooftop Films for a few years now and it's always intrigued me. I finally got a chance to see it for myself and let me tell you: it's a sight to behold. What a gorgeous set up they have. Excellent sound and picture quality with hundreds in attendance. The best part of it all was getting to see "Glory at Sea" again.

---


Anytime I travel, food is at the top of my list. I was remiss in my culinary explorations this time though. The labs were from 9am - 6pm and only allowed for an hour lunch so I didn't have much time to visit all the wonderful places I had picked out. However I did get to visit two great restaurants. While not 100% vegan I did love the food at Curly's Vegetarian Lunch a great place for American style diner food. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is Angelica Kitchen with their concentration on healthy gourmet vegan food. Sometimes these places can place a little too much concentration on health and not enough on taste but Angelica's really does both well.

1 comments:

curtis | 9:53 PM

Whale, whale, whale... look who visited the big city. Glad you didn't get swallowed up like the well that ate Jonah. The last time I was there, we stayed in Little Jamaica, and it was Bob Marley and the Whalers 24/7. Whale, I guess it's time to go.