The Q10 Project - Celebrating Gay Cinema

In working with the Lone Star Film Festival I realized how much fun it is to help get other peoples work out into the world. I enjoyed balancing my own artistic endeavors – typically my relationship with fests is that of (begging) filmmaker - by introducing other works to an audience as a programmer. So, I promised myself that as long as I’m in Fort Worth I would actively work to help bring films to the eyes of an audience in need of content. Or at least try to help the people of Fort Worth realize that they do indeed NEED content.

My second chance at doing this came through Todd Camp the Director of the Qcinema International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, which takes place here in Fort Worth. I spoke with him and asked what I could do to help QCinema. I was honored when he asked me to become a board member.

This year marks the 10th Anniversary of the Qcinema Festival and to celebrate Todd and his partner Doug had an idea to make mini-documentaries of people talking about their personal connections to gay film. Being a filmmaker I asked if they would allow me to take over that project. Thus The Q10 Project was born.

Each episode features someone talking about a moment in cinema that exults the gay experience or has a personal connection to his or her life. The Q10 mini-docs will act as trailers before films playing at the festival and as online advertising for the fest.

The first episode is Michael McDermott speaking about the film “Sordid Lives” and is available here on the Q10 Vimeo Channel: http://www.vimeo.com/q10. Please do check it out and pass it on. Be sure to bookmark the page and check back because there will be more in the coming weeks!

While you’re there checkout some of my other work on Vimeo at http://www.vimeo.com/jmj.

NOTE: If there is anyone out there who has a passion for this subject and has skills in graphic editing and is willing to donate your time, please contact me. I would like there to be more visually pleasing graphics and titles for the episodes but alas, I have no skills in that arena myself!

1 comments:

Curtis | 12:17 AM

This is a great idea and it turned out really well. It's funny and touching and it looks phenomenal....
Awesome job.