The Outlaw Son (recap)

Thank goodness for The Outlaw Son. For a while there I thought intimate personal filmmaking was an ideal. A pipedream. Producing this film completely restored my will and faith in making films my way. What a wonderful, compelling shoot it was. I’d happily be a producer if it is these kind of films from beautiful minded artist like David. To me the thrill of making it small and warm was far greater than that of working on a million plus dollar clown show that most sets seem to be (or want to be, even if they don’t have the money.)

We had nine people on the crew (plus or minus a few here and there.) The majority of the time spent standing around waiting was by the crew instead of the actors. I’ve never worked on a set like that before. I loved it. The lights were set, camera and sound ready to roll but David needed more time to rehearse with the actors. So we waited and there was no stress. I was happy for them to be spending the extra time. In the end we had an entire extra roll of 400ft film left over!

Traditionally film sets are very stressful and fast moving but I’m proud to say that not only was this shoot efficient and effective but was equally laid back and fun. Kyle and Machete fit right into the set like old pros even though this was their first time acting in film. The entire crew was wonderful (especially Clay Liford who I would call MVP for the shoot) and I’m looking forward to working with all of them again. I’m really in love with this style of working and I can’t wait to do it again on my upcoming trilogy of shorts.

We had a fine moment in Guerilla Filmmaking when we faked an airport terminal at a hospital. We had every person on the crew acting as an extra carrying various suitcases walking through an exterior foyer at the hospital for about 45 minutes and me standing with my cell phone keeping a close eye on the security desk. Yet, no one stopped us or even asked us any questions. We just had nine people walking around with bags and nobody cared.

The majority of the crew and the cast stayed at my house making it a slumber party every night. Aside from Kyle being really sick and Machete getting sick the last day everything went smoothly and aptly so, Kyle’s sickness played into the film very well. We got a wonderful deal on the camera and lighting equipment from MPS. These guys truly support independent filmmaking so please go rent from them if you’re looking for gear. They actually know what it’s about and love to work with people doing what they love. I’d also like to give a huge thanks to my wonderful wife Amy for giving up not only her house for our slumber parties but also her restaurant for the entire shoot. She is gracious beyond my worth.

Right now I'm sittinging in the living room of my good friend Jim McMahon waiting for my lovely wife Amy and my best friend David to arrive in L.A. for a week of respite. They are driving across the desert plains as I type this.

Major congrats to Jim on landing a sales rep for his directorial debut Bloodshed.

2 comments:

Matt | 1:05 AM

The more I hear about this shoot the more I wish I had been able to be a part of it.

Jmac5000 | 9:01 PM

Yo glad you had a good time - couch sign: always open.

The Pope Smokes Dope.