Doc

BOBBY
Now I want you to think about a boxing match. It's one of the greatest sports isn't? Man to man. That's it. I tell you, I love watching it. Just imagine if they changed the rules. What if the champ was allowed to stand out in the crowd hidden and camouflaged with a pile of rocks. So when the bell rings the contender steps into the ring but the champ isn't there to meet him. He stands there with his hands up ready to fight and suddenly, BAM, he gets hit in the left temple with a rock. He keeps his hands up, looking around for the champ, ready to defend, but he keeps getting pelted with rocks. Pretty soon he's knocked out and the champ keeps his belt. He dances around, hooting and hollerin, the crowd is cheering for him.

He looks around the room at the men's faces.

BOBBY
Now is that sport?
(beat)
Is it?

MEN
No.

BOBBY
Is that victory?

MEN
No.

BOBBY
That's right. That's right, and that is the reason you are here today. In this class I'm gonna teach you how to step into the ring with nature and come out a real champion.
___________________________________

I'm writing again. It's going pretty well. I have a precise idea of where I'm going with the story I just have to get the characters to play along.

I'm about to start headlong into a documentary. It will take up most of my time this summer. It's about The Great Plains Restoration Council (www.gprc.org.) I will be following Jarid, GPRC's Executive Director on a 12 day, 1000 mile bike ride from Fort Worth to Denver to raise funds and awareness for their programs. The doc will also cover the Plains Youth Inter-ACTION Program and the Youth Summit in South Dakota where GPRC works with at-risk youth from the inner-cities and Indian Reservations teaching them to assess and address issues that are critical to the health of self, community, and our unique Prairie/Plains environment. The third tier of the doc will cover The Million Acre Project where GPRC is working to build a million acre wildlife reserve in both western South Dakota (Northern Plains) and in the Southern Plains where Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma roughly meet.

I'm definitely interested in making a different type of documentary with this. I don't want it to be full of talking head sit down interviews and pie charts. To me, this issue is about more than information. I'm really trying to put together a grouping of images and conversations that will hit people on a gut level. Something that will make them feel as much as think. I'm approaching this as a narrative. The story is the land, and the people trying to help it are the characters.

I am trying to raise some money to cover cost for equipment rental and travel cost for the crew (flights, hotels, food.) So if you have any money to spare or know someone that does please email me: doc at beautifulconfusion dot com. I'd very much appreciate any help.

0 comments: