SXSW 2005

I am currently listening to Extraordinary Machine, the new album from Fiona Apple. It's amazing and beautiful and I'm gonna buy the hell out of it once it's finally released.

Man, SXSW was so much fun. I got to have a week-long slumber party with my best friends, watch a ton of great movies, go to lots of parties, and meet lots of cool people, including a bevy of filmmakers. I gotta tell you, it's very enriching to meet people in the exact same boat as you are. I mean people who really love cinema and want to make great movies for the love of it, not just for a meal ticket in Hollywood. Here's the list of films I saw that I loved or liked:
La Sierra
Occupation: Dreamland
Stephen Tobolowsky's Birthday Party
Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic
Mott Music
The Ramones and I
Sweet Soul Music
The Puffy Chair
Kissing on the Mouth
Press On
Palindromes
Be Here To Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt
The Boys of Baraka
The Roost
Dos Blokes
Reel Paradise
The Devil and Daniel Johnston

I think that's all of them. There were a few more I saw that I didn't love but were still competent. I didn't even bother with the bigger films (besides Palindrome) and I only saw one film that I hated. I'm not even sure how it got into a festival like SXSW but you know the saying: different strokes different folks. Of course there are a ton of films that I missed but my main goal at the fest wasn't to watch movies, it was to garner some good connections for future projects. I feel pretty confidant about having achieved that. Of course I met a lot of folks who are looking over your shoulder while they talk to you. But I met a few who were genuine and I hope I have a chance to work with them in some capacity in the future.

I suppose you'd like to hear about DEADROOM. Well, most people liked it, a few people loved it, a few hated it, and a few just didn't get it but still found it interesting. I wish more people "loved" it, but don't all artist wish that? There were times when I was so happy and amazed to be at SXSW and there were others where I felt like DEADROOM was the stepchild of the festival, largely overlooked and kind of pushed off to the side. Who am I to complain, we're lucky we got to play a huge festival like that. I'm really happy because the people who got the film, really got it and loved it. I've said this a million times but I knew going into this project that it wasn't going to be for everybody so I'm happy that we are finding an audience, even if it is a minimal one. SXSW is our first fesitval. We'll see how things go down at Texas Film Festival, Ozone Film Festival and Philadelphia International. We played Cleveland international simultaneously with SXSW. Unfortunately we weren't able to make it up there so I'm not sure how well it was received. I do know that our first screening had about 150 people in attendance but that's the extent of my knowledge at this point.

Technically I could say that I partied with Elijah Wood and went bar hopping with Dominic Monaghan, but that would be a half lie. I did attend several parties that Elijah and Dominic were at but I never actually talked to them. I did however, catch Dominic, staring at my Rosebud tattoo, we made eye contact and he nodded his head at me. True story I swear.

Here's some reviews from SXSW:
Moviehole at SXSW: Deadroom delivers
Austin Chronicle SXSW Film Reviews
Ain't It Cool News:SXSW 2005

So next month after the Philly Film Fest will be heading over to New York in hopes of bringing some of the these contacts we made to fruition in the form of meetings and such.

1 comments:

Chuck Olsen | 4:51 AM

Okay, I'm downloading and listening to the Fiona Apple... so far better then I expected!

I'm jealous of your near-interactions with Hobbit-folk.