Rosebud



It's true. As David hinted on his blog the stencil from the most famous sled in the world is now emblazoned upon my skin until it rots away from death. I got the tattoo on my forearm, the same place a sailor would get his anchor. The most famous word ever uttered in film history will now serve as a constant reminder to my eyes that filmmaking will be a part of my life as long that tattoo is and most importantly that it will never be easy. If it does get easy then I can look down and say "Oh yeah, it shouldn't be this easy. I need to stir some shit up. I need to take it out and chop it up." Speaking of which, this rules:
Sarajevo-born film director Emir Kusturica, who won the Palme d'Or award at the Cannes Film Festival in 1985 for When Father Was Away on Business and in 1995 for Underground, has balked at demands by British censors that he cut a two-second scene in his latest film showing a cat pouncing on a dead pigeon. In an interview with Britain's Guardian newspaper, Kusturica railed, "I am not cutting my film for this jerk. Was he brought up by pigeon or something? ... I just don't get it. The pigeon was already dead, we found it in the road. And no other censor has objected. What is the problem with you English? You killed millions of Indians and Africans, and yet you go nuts about the circumstances of the death of a single Serbian pigeon. I am touched you hold the lives of Serbian birds so dear, but you are crazy. I will never understand how your minds work."
I've been perusing the various musicians attending the SXSW film festival. Mostly I'm trying to find stuff I've never heard of before. Looks like I'm gonna be spending some money on CDs. There's so much great music it's ridiculous. They have acts sectioned off by genre so I started with Singer/Songwriter. Here are my favorites so far. I would love to say I'll be able to see all of them perform but I know it's not gonna happen. I'll just try to make it to what I can.

Jennifer O'Connor: Beautiful lo-fi. I really liked her stuff so I wrote her an email and she actually wrote me back.
Tywanna Jo Bakette:Wonderfully haunting melodies.
Nedelle
Emily Sparks: Very interesting and beautiful, it's hard to describe but I definitely like it a lot.
Dayna Kurtz
Jesca Hoop: With a glowing recommendation from Tom Waits you've got to be good and she definitely delivers.
Jeff Hanson: This guy has got one of the most unique styles I've heard in a good long while.
Jolie Holland

I know there's a lot more on top of this. I'm just gonna keep listening until it's time to head to Austin.

There is an astounding amount of work involved in trying to be your own Producers Rep, Public Relations, and Administrative Assistant for a huge festival like SXSW. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all. There is such little chance of a small film like ours getting recognition that I feel like we can't leave any stone unturned. Every pertinent person must be emailed and in a fest like this there are a lot of pertinant people. On top of that, it's a guessing game, trying to figure out what is the right thing to say. What will get their attention? Good grief. We made a great, unique, compelling film. Can't that be enough?

0 comments: