Best of

The Fort Worth Weekly "Best of" issue came out yesterday. Spiral Diner won best Vegetarian and Environmentally Friendly Business. No real surprise there. I feel good in the fact that we're not just the best Vegetarian because we're the only one. Even if this were a city like Austin we would still hold the title because we work hard to make sure all of our food is the best it can be. Even though we have a built in customer base we don't rest on mediocrity.

There was one surprise awaiting me in the pages of this issue. I was voted peoples choice for Best Local Filmmaker. This was strange because I had no idea anyone besides family and friends follow my career. However, that may be the explanation. Maybe my friends and family are the only ones who voted. Either way it's really cool and now I have to really live up to my title.

I've been really getting into the mood to write again. I think things are starting to smooth out at the Diner so I'll actually be able to take some time and do so. David and Yen are always a big inspiration to me because they get so much writing done. Especially David. His scripts are so well written. He really has taken the art of screenwriting to a whole 'nother creative level. His scripts are literary in a way that I've never seen. A piece of work that stands on it's own even if they are never interpreted in to a film. His latest example of this is "Henry Lee." A period piece set in the old west that is decidedly un-western. I really love the story and will have more thoughts once I sit down and read it again.

Finally made it out to see "Brown Bunny" and I liked it a lot. Way too much has been made of the blow job scene. I mean, it was clearly done in an experimental sense but it still had a place in the story. It wasn't completely random and definitely isn't what the film as a whole, is about.

I'm happy to say that Fort Worth will finally have a true venue for art house cinema. Albeit, a small one. Very small in fact. A fine group of people including myself are starting a MicroCinema. I'll be back soon with more details.

Yen's fine new script "Pit Stop" has a website and a staged reading scheduled for Wed. October 8. Please check the website and attend the reading.

0 comments: