food vs. film

Well, at long last we got our final inspection for Spiral Diner. It looks like we’ll be opening on Saturday. What a crazy time this has been. I think that most people like Amy and myself who are driven by a passion for something have a neat little ability to downplay the risk and all-consuming time factor of any given task. I know this is true of all my fellow Deadroom directors and most musicians and artist I know. The thought “Man this is gonna be really hard” is just an understood. “Yeah, but who cares.” Hemorrhaging money, time, stress, exhaustion, blood, sweat, tears; all these are requirements of the drive to create something great. They don’t even affect the decision really. It’s accepted that those things are part of the process.

But what if you fail?
Whaddya mean?
What if it doesn’t work?
Of course it’ll work!

That’s the other thing that those with passion often ignore. The risk of catastrophe. The reality is that actually doing what your driven to do is the success. In doing that thing that drives us we can never fail. Failure is just not part of the equation. Unless we don’t do it, then we fail. Better to die broke than be alive full of regret.

It’s amazing to me that making films exist in this whole other world. Getting Spiral ready has been a huge task full of red tape and all sorts of rules and regulations. When you want to make a film you just do it. If you want to open a restaurant you can’t just rent a space and open up. That’s pretty much how it goes with any business. There are rules and regulations. However, if you decide to make a film. Well there you go. Just get some equipment, actors, and a crew and do it. No red tape (at least on the indie level.)

Anyway, having this all done is a huge weight off my chest and I can finally start concentrating on film again. I really would like to get a damn script finished. I've started a bunch but just haven't had the capacity to stay on task and finish them. Amy’s really concerned with me staying off the schedule at Spiral so I can spend time getting some writing done. Now ain’t that cool. I plan to not let her down. David has written 12 complete scripts to my three. I gotta catch up to that sonofabitch (just as soon as I finish reading and giving feedback on his 12th, Henry Lee.)

1 comments:

Anonymous | 3:16 AM

Well just remember, two or three really good scripts are a lot better than eleven or twelve half realized ones.

Maybe when you have your schedule finalized we can do some joint writing on that thingamajig script thing. Too bad I don't have DSL or we could do it completely online. And by do it I mean rewrite.